[Dixielandjazz] Rules?????

Goggin, Brian (Dublin) GoggiBri at exchange.ie.ml.com
Fri Jan 24 15:09:38 PST 2003

Agreed Steve.
I kept out of this 'til now as there's been a lot of hot air and big words
being ejaculated by people.

Rules Schmules. As old Bubber Miley said "It don't mean a thing if it ain't
got that swing". Fair enough?

I saw Frank Wess playing in Cork in 2000 - he was 78 then and looked 60
under. Sharp as a pin and a fine player.
Got talking to him - the nicest, friendliest, most down to earth guy you
could meet.
He gave a master class the next day in the afternoon and some plonker who
loved the sound of his own voice (there's always one) says something like
"Mr Wess, how do you, ah like ah, define your approach to improvisation?"
and he looks funny at yer man and says "Man I don't define nothin'!!"
Another sensible person asked him to just demonstrate and he played a
beautiful unaccompanied swinging 3 minute solo.

Brian (Let's cut this over-analysis crap and get back to listening) Goggin.