[Dixielandjazz] Rules?????

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 24 10:02:29 PST 2003

"Rules?  We don't need no stinkin rules!"

To paraphrase that great line about badges in a Western Movie some years
ago. (Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!)

Whoa, much too much has been posted about who does what, what cymbals to
use, or not, etc. Much to much for this old head to learn, forget, or
follow.

If you want to re create old timey music (some call it OKOM, others
Dixieland, others Authentic Jazz, etc) follow exactly the way it was
played 80 years ago and kiss the audience goodbye because they are all
dead.

If you want to create music (some call it OKOM, others Dixieland, others
Authentic Jazz) then play what you feel like playing.

What cymbal to use? For every rule one quotes, there are countless
exceptions. Guys who play the ride cymbal to perfection. etc.

Just simple rhythm out of the drummer? For that rule there are also
countless exceptions of guys from Wettling to Gene Krupa to Tony
DiNicola to Elvin Jones who can make a band swing and still throw in a
lot of embellishment.

Etc., etc., etc.

What is Dixieland? Listen to Mr. Beebe. He was playing it, and playing
it well, before most of us rule minders were in long pants. "Polyphonic
- Counterpoint".  Is that, perhaps, the only rule one needs?

Aren't we talking about music that has defied the "rules" for 100 years.
Both rhythmic and harmonic. And that's all it is, "music". To the
listener's ear it is either good or bad and that's the bottom line.

And speaking about "the listener" that doesn't mean individuals, but the
group. Often what we as individuals think doesn't mean a damn thing in
the general scheme of things.

Musical content? "You're So Vain You Probably Think This Song Is About
YOU."  Trust me, it isn't.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Do we think for a moment that Bolden, Bechet, LaRocca, Armstrong,
Beiderbecke, Spanier, Manone, Picou, Condon, Davison, Mole, Dickenson,
Higginbotham, Davern, Russell, Beebe, Hull, Hooks, Cooke, Krupa, Kenny
John, Sbabaro (Spargo) and all the others who play or played this music
were even slightly concerned about rules?  Just listening to Sbabaro
with ODJB, and then again 30 years later at Nick's in NYC as Spargo, and
hearing the differences in his playing should be required listening for
Dixieland fans and musos alike.