[Dixielandjazz] Something to think about

PLadd36932 at aol.com PLadd36932 at aol.com
Fri Jan 24 07:11:26 PST 2003

rossanmjband at iprimus.com.au writes:

<< The musician is a different breed of cat . There is a loneliness .......,

i am sure we would all like to dignify our lives with pretending to believe
this pretentious claptrap, suffering for our art and all...

It is about on a par with `I couldn`t do THAT, dahling. it is so COMMERCIAL!

I think it is easy to see the `arty` content of films, music, etc when
looking back but I am reminded of a line from one of the many great songs in
that brilliant, but unsuccesful, musical Mack and Mabel.
Mack Sennet is singing `Movies were Movies, when I ran the show` and the
relevant lines are

` we didn`t know that what we were doing was `art`
We had some guts and some luck
But we were just making a buck`

Cheers

PatL (presses back of wrist to forehead . Exit stage left.