[Dixielandjazz] Chordal & Melodic Improvisation

briantowers briantowers at msn.com
Thu Jan 23 15:32:15 PST 2003

I agree with Paul  that melody, harmony, rhythm and other factors rank ahead
of "improvisation" as elements of jazz.   Here is a simple test:

Louis Armstrong plays 'Cornet chop Suey" for the first time on Monday - jazz
OK?

He plays the same solo on Tuesday.  Now,  those that say improvisation is
what defines jazz would have to say that Louis' Tuesday version of "Cornet
Chop Suey" is not jazz, which I would consider to be nonsense!

Q.E.D.

Brian (this should get 'em going) Towers