[Dixielandjazz] Re: stride vs. comp; 'holes' in dixieland

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Thu Jan 23 14:06:19 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/23/03 11:10:05 AM Central Standard Time,
ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu writes:

> Folks--
>     I wrote the following a couple of days ago, but then didn't send it
> because i thought y'all with more experience playing and decades more of
> listening than i have would find it at the best overly simplistic and at
> the worst flat wrong.
>     But i see Sheik (to whom, congratulations and felicitations on his
> post) has said a lot of what i wanted to say, with better detail and
> knowledge, so i thought i'd send this along as a "me too".  I think a lot
> of people don't post because they're intimidated by people with vastly more
> experience and knowledge than they have.  All it takes for them (and me) to
> cower in their shell is the occasional flame of abuse or ill-feeling from
> one poster to another.  I felt that way a couple of days ago by what a
> couple of people said to each other (not to me), so i said awthehellwith
> it.
>
>     Dan

       Dan...your piece (below) is excellent.  You articulated the essence of
playing Dixieland jazz very well. You are absolutely right that 'leaving
holes' is vitally important to good Dixieland. May I say that I hope that
people will not refrain from posting because they may be intimdated by some
posters on the List.  Everyone should feel free to express their thoughts and
all are equally valid.  One thing that helps is not to take it all too
seriously. Yeah, some of us have more experience than others...so what? Once
in awhile a poster may like to buzz another poster but it should be taken
lightly.  I post probably more than I should but I'm a damned invalid now and
can't get out to do other things.  In any case this is a good outlet to
express things, to seek information and to enjoy reading others sentiments
and proferred information. Don't hold back, Dan.

Jim Beebe