[Dixielandjazz] Variation of a melody

Ken Gates keng at iswest.com
Thu Jan 23 10:53:04 PST 2003

Listmates--
Using Steve's definition of melodic improvisation, his conclusions make
sense
to me.  Perhaps what I have been perceiving as melodic improvisation is
really
something else.  My crude definition has been---if I can identify the stated
melody after coming into the room AFTER the first statement of the melody
has been played----that to me is a melodic improvisation----because it is a
restatement, paraphrase, improvisation, or something---of the original
melody.
Perhaps it is a variation of the melody?  Although I know little of
classical
music,  it seems to me the word variation shows up quite often in titles of
classical pieces.  But I don't seem to see/hear that word come up often in
the language of jazz musicians.  Perhaps a person trained in the classics
could
comment?
---------------
I remember entering a venue at the Sacramento festival a while back when the
all stars were really hotly playing ??????.  It was really swinging.  The
fact that
I couldn't identify a known melody was not important,  it was great jazz.
The final chorus revealed that they were playing against the chords of "When
You and I Were Young Maggie".  Surely that was an example of melodic
improvising using Steve's definition.  And, I think, only the highest level
of
musical skill could make it work so well.
But with those exceptions aside, what thrills me when listening to good
players at work, it when a known melody is restated (variation?) in an
elegant and creative fashion.  Whatever the definition of that may be.

And thanks to all who are making this an informative discussion.
Ken Gates