[Dixielandjazz] "Dixie"

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Thu Jan 23 13:25:29 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/23/03 7:04:36 AM Central Standard Time, kash at ran.es
writes:

> Can anyone give me some help on researching the song "Dixie"?  I've got
> it written by Daniel D. Emmett in 1860.  Recorded the likes of the
> Dukes, Ellington, Louie Armstrong, Kenny Ball, Red Allen.  I'm missing
> info on the history of the song itself.  Why was it written, etc.
>
> My grandson has a paper to turn in on the song.  Dunno why, but any help
> will be appreciated.

   I'm not sure how right I am on this but I think that I'm close.  The song
"Dixie" came along I think just before the Civil War.  It is a sentimental
song about the South.

  Music played an important part in the Civil War with a number of Amercian
classics coming out of that period.  Most of them were very sentimental
songs, evoking home and hearth.  Dixie was one that was adapted by the South
but was popular everywhere.

 Racial connotations were added on to this song as time went along but they
were never in the original intent of this song. Dixie is a powerful, a clever
and poigant song
and still calls up sentiments of days gone by. I'll never forget an old
march, "Gate City" that we often played on parade in the Marine Corps.  In
the first strain the lower brass plays, "Swanee River."  The next time though
this is repeated with the trumpet/cornets coming in with 'Dixie."  This
always brought roars from the crowd.  I hope that one day the racial dross
that has been stuck on 'Dixie" will drop away and this great song can take
it's rightful place in American musicana.

Jim Beebe