[Dixielandjazz] Players Roles in Okom Bands - was Stride v. Comp

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 23 12:29:20 PST 2003

Interesting to see the different viewpoints on what the role of the
individual players are in an OKOM or Dixieland band. I note that we
don't agree amongst our selves which I view as a good thing.

In Barbone Street, for example, the guitar (we have no piano) is both
the primary chord instrument and, look out for heresy, a fourth member
of the front line. It gives us a rather unique sound which some folks
like and some do not.

Is it Dixieland" Of course. Is it OKOM? Yes, for most of our audience.

Perhaps the overriding problem in discussing jazz, or OKOM is
definitional as we know from previous threads. But IMO, most fans who
claim they are Dixieland Fans, are really not. Most appreciate one form
of Dixieland and not the others. Even George Buck, bless his heart, will
tell you, (I think) that there is no real Jazz after 1930, that swing is
not jazz etc.

Many fans say "I like West Cast Revival, but not Chicago style", or
something similar. One must thus conclude that these fans are not
Dixieland Fans, but West Coast Revival Fans, etc.

On the other hand you get musos like Jim Beebe, who not only played West
Coast Revival Style extremely well with Bob Scobey, et al., but also
with numerous Chicago Style Bands. And with Country Western Bands, and
with all kinds of bands. He, like Charlie Hooks, Eddie Condon, Charlie
Hull, Pat Cooke, Louis Armstrong and others call what they play, music.

So, what are the roles of muso in Dixieland or OKOM Bands?  They are not
easily codified, because there are so many different styles and the muso
has a different role depending upon what style is played. So what Pat
Cooke prefers (as a bass player) the piano to play (comping) is very
different from what from what Sheik might prefer the piano to play.
(Stride).

Who is right? Everybody. But one thing is certain. If a person does not
like all styles of Dixieland, then that person is not really a Dixieland
fan, but is a fan of certain Dixieland styles.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone