[Dixielandjazz] Banjo Styles & Bolden

briantowers briantowers at msn.com
Thu Jan 23 10:03:21 PST 2003

Bob,
I believe Bud Scott could have been using his six string banjo, tuned as a
guitar.
He did this sometimes, as did Johnny St Cyr.

But lets not forget that these guys were both originally guitarists who
switched to banjo to "keep up with the times"  Then, when the times changed
again, they went back to guitar!

As we all know from the photo, Bolden was using guitar in his band, which
dates back to at least 1895.    I often wonder how the band baolance would
have sounded - Bolden, with his reputed very strong and loud playing style
on cornet, backed by a bowed bass and an acoustic guitar - there were no
P.A. systems to help them out!
Hmmm!

Brian Towers,