[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 1, Issue 457

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Thu Jan 23 07:45:45 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/22/2003 8:20:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Country &Western to Dixieland?

Dan Spink Attempts To Clarify The Original Thought:

Jim (and listmates):

I have no doubt that you can take any C&W song and make it sound Dixie and
good. I'm sure you do the same with any kind of music, actually, including
rock and classical. But that wasn't my original point so maybe I didn't quite
get my own idea across. I was talking from the chords and melody thread. And
I think it was Steve, agreed with me that the typical "structure" of C&W was
different from trad jazz--the chords and songs etc. The word I used was
"context." The Hank Williams song, Cheatin Heart, is almost a template for
early C&W songs. When you talk C&W the people who listen to it EXPECT that
template to be played out. Truth be known, I would prefer to hear Jim's Dixie
version of it any time.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink