[Dixielandjazz] tricks

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Wed Jan 22 19:20:29 PST 2003

>one long note artfully executed. So a solo doesn't have to be complex
to be good. Then again, >you can't do this too often or you wear out the
effect.  Elazar

Elazar, you have discovered one of the old tricks used by some.  It is
almost always a crowd pleaser.  If you can come off the long held note
with a huge romp of dramatic notes, without having taken a breath....all
the better!  Audiences seem to love to see blood!  :>

You mention "wearing out the effect".  For who....whom, or whatever, I
ask?  Yes, the band is always the same, and they quickly learn any
goodies you might use.  They may even moan & groan.  However, your
audience is usually different, and your worn out trick is brand new to
them.

Even if there is a repeater in the audience you might find he's been
waiting all nite for your bit.
I learned that while listening to Teddy Buckner's Band at the Beverly
Caverns (L.A.) in the late '50's.  Teddy had a trick of announcing a
song, while laughing a bit with the band.  Then, he would say "here we
go, a one, two"...and return to the before mentioned laughter.  He would
continue to try to count off, always failing due to increasing laughter,
and finally the whole joint would be laughing.

Yep!  It was a trick, and I (in the audience) was disappointed if he
didn't do it.  I would nudge my friend accompanying me, saying "watch
what he does now"...etc.

For some, tricks like this are counter to what we like to pretend is our
"art".  I personally think it is great entertainment.  And, if you
capture the audience through simple entertainment, then you can slip
them a small dose of "art" when they don't realize it!  If you try to
force art on an everyday audience, you will normally fail.

Jim (enough preaching) Kash