[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 1, Issue 452

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Wed Jan 22 08:55:49 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/22/2003 12:30:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> To: DJML <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
> Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Banjos

Dan Spink Adds A Question for Charlie Hook or Anyone Else:

Charlie, right on! I've more often run into guitar players who, as you so
well put it, "amp up" to where you can't hear yourself playing. I've often
wondered why they do this? I met an R&D studio producer some years ago who
was doing young rock stuff off the street. He told me he recorded the group
and then separately added strings and other percussion around them later. One
group got big enough to play with a full orchestra, he said, and they were so
unused to playing with a sense of balance vs. other instruments, they "amped
up" the guitars to the point where the orchestra couldn't work with them. So
what is wrong with those folks? Are they tone deaf or harmonically
challenged?

Dan (piano fingers) Spink