[Dixielandjazz] soloing

David Story daveplaysthepiano at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 22 08:26:09 PST 2003

This thread is running out of steam, but none the less here is my final 2 cents worth.

Prior to the modern jazz era (post 1960 give or take) the solo line uses a combination of chords running, scale construction, and blues inflections. Sometimes the solo is related to the melody, sometimes not. But if you consider the solo line, without reference to the chords, you can clearly see, and hear the harmonic progression. The degree of sophistication displayed adds greatly to the enjoyment of the solo for both the listeners and the musicians accompanying. When I hear musicians who only play by ear, often times the harmonic impression is a bland wash. Genius exempted.

Basin Street and the high d

Of course this works the d is the 3rd of the 1st chord, root of the 2nd, 5th of the 3rd, 9th of the 4th, 13th of the 5th, 3rd, flat9, 9th, 13th etc. People enjoy hearing these harmonic relationships, even if they can't tell quarter note from a wine bottle.

Big supporter of jazz education, 'cause I paid a lot for mine.

David Story-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...