[Dixielandjazz] "Everybody wants to be in the band" (back to the Kazoo thread)

Tony Davis tony at tony-davis.co.uk
Wed Jan 22 11:22:40 PST 2003

Brian Goggin wrote

> I read somewhere several years ago that the hot fountain pen is a piccolo
> clarinet with a saxophone type mouthpiece and is about 6 inches long.
> Whether this is true or not I don't know, but I suspect it is.

That's about right.  Full details are on the page I quoted:
http://www.normanfield.fsnet.co.uk/rollini.htm .  For a picture of the hot
fountain pen (in a 1930 advertisement, see
http://www.normanfield.fsnet.co.uk/hfp.jpg .  And if you want to hear the
h.f.p. in action, try http://mysite.freeserve.com/newsite2/hfp.ram for a sound
clip from a 1927 recording by Joe Venuti's Blue Four.

Tony.

--
Tony Davis
Trumpet/Cornet