[Dixielandjazz] melody + chords

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Wed Jan 22 10:53:07 PST 2003

I started the subject of melody vs. chords using the "vs." as a hint to
my feelings on the subject.  Bill Gunter summed up what my real feelings
are:  "melody+chords=music".  It's a plus thing, not a vs. thing.

If it becomes only one, ignoring the other then it is no longer right in
my opinion.  The guy that takes the first chorus after the collective
and just repeats what we just heard...the melody line, is boring.  So is
the (usually) reed guy playing up and down the scales.  What's in the
musicians head is the important thing.  What is he following mentally?
Should be both lines to equal music.

Jim