[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 1, Issue 451

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Tue Jan 21 19:29:16 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/21/2003 6:37:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

Bill Gunther writes:

> Even when the chord line is absent the chords are "implied." That is to say
> that it is often possible to chord along with a song after hearing it once
> or twice because the chord line is so obvious. As a matter of fact, most
> seasoned guitar/piano/banjo players can probably chord along to many
> country
> western tunes WHILE THEY'RE HEARING THEM  FOR THE FIRST TIME!

Dan Spink Comments:

I totally agree with you, Bill. And I would add one more idea. All music
seems to have context defined by typical chords, typical melody lines and
even typical styles. I learned this during my Army stint playing in a Country
& Western band, after playing in a Dixie band for two years earlier. The
County & Western chords were less colorful, less likely to change when you
expected, and basically more boring (to me). But after awhile I got a taste
for it. I could predict what chords were being used or even going to be used
very quickly after awhile. I couldn't make Country & Western sound Dixie,
however. I think this is what we in the DJML world have come to love about so
called traditional jazz songs. We like the context, the style, or just that
type of music.

Dan Spink