[Dixielandjazz] chords vs melody

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 21 23:27:20 PST 2003

Hi Listmates,

What an interesting topic! I've been following it along but haven't posted
any observations as yet. Time to toss in my 2 cents worth:

Even when the chord line is absent the chords are "implied." That is to say
that it is often possible to chord along with a song after hearing it once
or twice because the chord line is so obvious. As a matter of fact, most
seasoned guitar/piano/banjo players can probably chord along to many country
western tunes WHILE THEY'RE HEARING THEM  FOR THE FIRST TIME!

Also - Even when the melody line is absent it is often "implied" in the
chord progression. How else does one explain the practice of "quoting" other
songs besides the one which is being performed. And in the 12 Bar Blues
progression people sing tons of different melodies - all suggested by the
progression.

Summary - There's no way I could build a case to say which one of these
elements is the most important.  My feeling is that with the blues it's
probably the chord line. But superimposed over that is a feeling that music
basically starts with a melody. I guess these two elements are simply too
entertwined to definitively separate them and decide which is the dominant
element.

Since melody implies progression and progression implies melody how can
there be a rational discussion of one element being most important.

Music is an art form which has at its core the generation and resolution of
tension. Take a simple G chord (GBD) and then add the minor 7th (F) and now
you've created some tension. That tension is only resolved by playing a C
chord.

It's like the old "Shave and a haircut - two bits!" - If you sing the "Shave
and a haircut" part and leave off the "two bits" - you're leaving some
tension unresolved. Your listeners will all feel the "two bits" whether they
want to or not just to relieve the tension.

Such is the nature of music.

Which brings  me to a conclusion.

If you're hearing some body playing what they claim is music and you, the
listener, cannot determine a progression or get a feel for where the melody
is going then you are listening to Bull S***!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "melody+chords=music" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com