[Dixielandjazz] Melody and Chords

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 17:17:55 PST 2003

on 1/21/03 2:31 PM, Rob McCallum at rakmccallum at hotmail.com wrote:

> one of the alto players is playing straight forward be bop
> articulations

Yeah, that would be Eric Schneider--a monster player and a sweet guy, a
friend.  But Eric really dislikes some of the older OKOM and used to have a
tough time playing it with a straight face.  He's gotten better at it during
the last 20 years, but it will never be his strength.  Fine player, though,
at whatever he wants to play: I remember once in Lauderdale going in to hear
Ira Sullivan when Stan Getz was sitting in; suddenly Eric showed up between
the two of them and held his own just fine, thank you!  I loved it. Eric can
play clarinet, too; and if he works at it for a short time to clear his
chops, he really sounds good.  But he rarely plays clarinet.

The original "Sat. Night Function" was an LP and I was the only reed.  When
Jim re-released it on CD, he added tracks from other recordings.

Tell Tommy Saunders hello for me.  Where is his nephew the sousaphone
player?  He married a friend of mine, moved away, and I've lost touch with
them.

thanks for the note,
charlie