[Dixielandjazz] Re: Clarinet reeds

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Tue Jan 21 10:48:44 PST 2003

Every reed player has his own preferences.  I use standard Rico reeds, about 2
1/5, and alter them with steel wool or trim them if they are to soft.  After
tying other mouthpieces, I have stayed with the Selmer HS two star.

I think every reed player goes through Hell at some point finding the right
reeds. And he has to do it himself because of uniqueness of his mouthpiece,
embouchure, etc.              [ Example, Steve Barbone uses a Vandoren 5JB
mouthpiece and a # 5 reed if memory serves.  I forget what brand of reed. For
me, that set up is like a turbo charged race car and more than I can handle].

Once I select about 6 -8 reeds, I keep them forever.  The Rovner ligature
instruction paper says to wash the reeds frequently, like after every use.  I
wash my clarinet reeds when they seem to go "dead", about once a week, and
indeed, they come back to life.  Consequently they last me for years. [ I use
warm water, dial liquid soap - no hand cream content - and a clean tooth brush
moving from butt to tip so as to not damage the tip edge. ( Warning, don't use
hot water ). After pat dry on a clean cloth [ I use a cotton diaper]  I put the
reed in a plastic reed holder and let dry over night ]. The idea is that the
proteins, starches, bacteria, fungus, etc. that collect on the reed alter its
performance.  I have found this to be true.  Most clarinet players I know do not
wash their reeds and must change them about every week or so.

I hope this helps.

Russ Guarino