[Dixielandjazz] DD Brass band and others of that ilk

Brian Harvey brian.harvey5 at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 21 18:02:43 PST 2003

I was surprised to see the statement - don't remember who by - that the
Dirty Dozen Brass Band and others that follow their lead do not play New
Orleans Jazz. Who says that they don't and on what basis is that statement
made?
New Orleans jazz has been changing its form for over one hundred years. Who
are we to attempt to thrust our definitions on others. I think that you will
find that the DDBB, the Treme BB (pronounced Tremay) and others are creating
a new sound. So did George Lewis for the polyphonic style of bands in the
1940s. There have been others, there will be more.
Brian Harvey from an almost submerged England - it's the monsoon season.