[Dixielandjazz] Melody and Chords

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue Jan 21 10:59:14 PST 2003

At 09:43 AM 1/21/2003 -0500, Rob McCallum wrote:
> Melodies and harmonies are both essential
>components of a tune, but I think which is emphasized is more part of the
>style of the individual player and even group.

That variation is part of the group's personality.

> Isn't improvising from chords nothing more than the creation of new
melodic >lines?

Mostly, in concept, but folks with fingers often use the occasion to put on
displays of technique, which I wouldn't consider creating a new melody;
this is one way of doing it, and it can be entertaining and spark other
band members by lifting the level of excitement.

>I do agree that
>OKOM tends to place more emphasis on improvising out of the original melody
>than straight ahead groups that tend to use a melody line as an introduction
>and a coda, but I think it's relative and can vary even from song to song
>within a set.

Cool. Adds variety to the set.

>I, respectfully, disagree with Dan Spinks regarding altered chords.  Though
>they may sound out of place with most OKOM, I believe that they add tonal
>color to more modern styles and make the improv more, rather than less,
>interesting.

I think Dan was objecting to altered chords in playing OKOM.
The issue is that of playing what is appropriate to the style of the genre
and particularly of the group. It is professionally irresponsible to impose
another style on what's being played. If one is new to the group and the
leader hasn't met his responsibility by telling the newbie what's wanted,
one starts out very simply and adjusts as one goes along. Of course, the
newbie should have asked about the group's style and tunes before accepting
the gig...

--Sheik