[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Music - was banjos and George Buck

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 21 10:22:39 PST 2003

Kash wrote (polite snip)

"My line is that it is ALL jazz, just seen from different angles."

Kash & List mates:

That was Louis Armstrong's line also, July 1960 in "The Jazz Review",
Louis said: "I wouldn't say I know what jazz is, because I don't look at
it from that angle. I look at it from music . . . we never did worry
about what it was in New Orleans, we just always tried to play good. And
the public named it. It was Ragtime, Dixieland, gutbucket, jazz, swing
and it ain't nothin' but the same music."

Or as quoted in "Metronome" circa 1945: "Dear Leonard", (as in Feather)
"Your question is 'Are women capable of appreciating good jazz?' You
see, you had me going for a moment . . . because we Cats use the word
good Jazz for something else too, tee hee, but now I dig what you mean."

On another subject, George Buck, the man, is a Prince among men. When he
reissues old records on CDs, he hunts far and wide for the musicians in
order to pay them. Case in point was his reissue of a Bunk Johnson
session at the Central Plaza in NYC circa 1947. My old pal Charlie
Traeger was on bass. Buck went out of his way to find out where Charlie
was and paid him an honorarium.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone