[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Loy video clip

Bob Romans cellblk7 at attbi.com
Tue Jan 21 06:38:39 PST 2003

Hi All...
If anyone is interested in the link mentioned below showing a video of Tommy Loy playing the National Anthem, please contact me off-line...
Bob (121234) Romans
Hi Fred...try this! It still works for me!!!
Great letter...thanks!! I forwarded it on to Tommy's kin...they love hearing
about him!!
I'm forwarding this to the DJML in case someone on this great list wants to
hear Tommy play!!
Bob

Hi Bob,
Did you just put a link to the video clip on your desktop or did you find a
way to download the video clip?  I couldn't find a way to download the clip,
but I contacted the web owner shortly after Tommy's death and asked about
the clip.  They weren't in a position to give or sell me a copy at that
time, but they have plans to be able to sell clips, so it's probably time
for me to follow-up with them.  I hope to get this clip and others and
eventually edit them together for Shirley and her family.
Wasn't Tommy's sound "huge"?  I remember about 3 years ago when Tommy played
a couple of shows (as a guest musician) with a local senior high school jazz
choir that I've worked with (as an audio engineer/volunteer) the past
several years.  Well, one of the shows was a performance at IAJE (the
International Association of Jazz Educators) in New Orleans.  The
performance itself was "good", probably not great, but it wasn't really
structured to highlight Tommy.  The charts were more like "lead charts" and
so didn't really highlight Tommy's improv skills, but he played very well,
anyway.  But I digress... Tommy and I shared a hotel room that trip and one
of my favorite memories from the trip was going with Tommy to a small
hole-in-the-wall club "across the river" late one evening to a jam session.
I recall the main players in the jam being a few of the guys, including the
trumpet player and bass player, from the Dukes of Dixieland... (by the way,
what an effortless trumpet player... I don't recall his name, though, but a
great player, just brought the horn to his face and the music came out),
also Mike Vax and others sat in, some great players from the New Orleans
area, etc., and of course Tommy.  Anyway, all the players were great (well,
except for that "one" drummer and that "one" pianist).  Mike Vax (of course)
played LOUDER than anyone (louder than anyone I've ever heard) and played
great, but when Tommy played, all heads turned and listened.  His sound was
so huge... and everything he played "fit".... never too much, never too
little, always just right.  What fun and what a priviledge it was for me to
be able to share in this fun!  Oh, and as I recall, Tommy and I had a
rehearsel scheduled for 8am the following morning with the jazz choir, and
we made it there "on time"... but just barely!  ;^)
It's really nice to think of Tommy.  I'm still occasionally having a dream
that I'm in one of our local Tex-Mex restaurants and Tommy's there, grinning
ear-to-ear about something.  There are so many things I still think of that
I wanted to ask Tommy (about playing, about the jingle recording business,
about mixing, about live sound systems, etc.) but didn't have time.
Well, sorry I've rambled, but it's nice to think of Tommy.
Best regards,
Fred

Fred D. Allen
Plano, TX, USA