[Dixielandjazz] melody vs chords & the importance ofwords

briantowers briantowers at msn.com
Mon Jan 20 18:39:08 PST 2003

The manner in which jazz musicians improvise has always interested me.
Personally, as a trombone player, I believe I generally improvise on the
melody.  However there may be some sub-conscious tie-in with the chord
sequence also, as I sometimes find myself playing a certain phrase, when a
certain chord crops up.
My wife, a reed player, mostly improvises on the chords.  I can see this is
very handy since,as long as she has the chords in front of her, she can
improvise on a tune she has never heard of and it still sounds OK!
In my case I would be struggling, if I did not know the tune. I would have
to wait for the chord coming from the rhythm section, before i could play my
notes.   It is my impression that many clarinet players do their
improvisations based upon the chords, rather than the melody?

Knowing the lyric has always been a tremendous help to me in playing the
song and I agree with Kash in that knowing the words is extremely useful, in
putting one's solo across and getting the mood of the piece.

Cheers,
Brian Towers,
Hot Five Jazzmakers, Toronto, Canada
Band web site:                http://hotfivejazz.tripod.com