[Dixielandjazz] Lesser Tributaries of OKOM

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Jan 19 22:46:31 PST 2003

     A couple of days ago i was browsing through the used records at
Half-Price Books here in Austin and came across a 1977 LP by Leon
Redbone called _Double Time_.  I'd always kind of liked his stuff,
but didn't have any of his recordings, and one time on TV i saw him
singing accompanied by a tuba player ("What genius!", i bethought).
So i bought it, and like it, and i thought i might tell y'all about
it to help explore the farther reaches of 'OKOM'.
     The personnel on the LP is impressive: Milt Hinton (bass), Jo
Jones (drums), Don McLean and Eric Weissberg (banjo), Jonathan Dorn
(tuba), Yusef Lateef (soprano saxophone), Ed Polcer (trumpet), Vic
Dickenson (trombone). They don't play on every song, but most of them
do on "Diddy Wa Diddy".
     Now, i expect that a lot of you are way ahead of me, and have
been for years, but maybe some haven't yet branched out into the
lesser tributaries of OKOM and discovered adjunct lecturers like Leon
Redbone.  I recently started exploring these byways and was
immediately rewarded with my first recordings by Jim Kweskin's Jug
Band, the Even Dozen Jug Band, and the Memphis Jug Band. The first
had Maria D'Amato (later Maria Muldaur) and did songs like "Somebody
Stole My Gal", "Rag Mama", "Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me",
and "Ukelele Lady".  The second, from 1964, featured Maria D'Amato,
John Sebastian, Steve Katz, David Grisman, and Joshua Rifkin, doing
songs like "Mandolin King Rag", "Evolution Mama", "Overseas Stomp",
and "Rag Mama". The third, from c. 1934, did songs like "On the Road
Again" (no, not _that_ one), "Memphis Jug Blues", and other lesser
known tunes.  But if you like regular OKOM bands doing these and
similar tunes, you might also like jug bands.  In fact, i also bought
Maria (D'Amato) Muldaur's _Maria Muldaur_, with some very OKOM-like
songs like "Any Old Time" and "The Work Song".
     Another similar kind of recording is _Jazz_ by Ry Cooder (brought
to my attention by alert musician Monte Price), which features songs
like "The Pearls/Tia Juana", "In a Mist", "Davenport Blues", and
"Shine", with players like Red Calender (tuba)and Earl Hines (piano).
     Now, i am only an egg (to quote _Stranger in a Strange Land_) in
this kind of music, but i discovered that i like a lot of it, and
thought you might too.  In fact, if you know of similar kinds of
music, or other recordings you like, why not tell us?  One of the
two-edged swords of the human mind is the fine ability to categorize
things, but sometimes the walls of those categories get too high and
too hard and we lose the ability to see into other rooms and the
similarities of what we like.

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu  **
**    "In each human heart are a tiger, a pig, an ass, and a          **