[Dixielandjazz] attachment signs

Tony Davis tony at tony-davis.co.uk
Sun Jan 19 15:15:46 PST 2003

I agree with John Ding that the attachment flags are indicators that the
message contains HTML, and with Jim Kashishian that this is due to some action
that the islandnet administrators have taken recently.  It makes sense for
HTML mails to be flagged in this way, because HTML can conceal a malicious
script designed to infect the recipient's machine with a virus or worm just as
an attachment can.

As Jim says, many posts at present are in HTML.  For the official line on
this, refer to http://www.islandnet.com/djml/faq.html , question 23.  From
past correspondence it appears that many people don't realize they're posting
in HTML and/or don't know how to stop it happening.

If you're using Outlook Express, click on 'Tools' then 'Options' then the
'Send' tab and make sure the 'Plain Text' option is selected under 'Mail
Sending Format', then click 'OK'.  If you're using AOL (as many of the
offenders are), the following link, which I found when trying to help Dan
Spink, may be useful: http://www.xke-lovers.com/aolptext.htm .  It refers to
AOL 7.0 but may apply to 6.0 and 8.0 as well.

I hope this will go some way towards reducing the current rash of HTML posts.

--
Tony Davis
Trumpet/Cornet