[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in New Orleans

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Sun Jan 19 08:59:57 PST 2003

My friend Harry Epp is visiting this week from Ft. Lauderdale.  He comes to
New Orleans about twice a year just to listen to some of the fine players.
    We are enduring an unusual cold snap here right now, but in spite of the
cold, the French Quarter was full of people.
     The band that plays at the Market Cafe in the daytime (outdoors) was
doing almost no business.  It was so cold the band was not even there.  A
disappointment, as we usually go every afternoon to listen to them.
      Last night we stopped at a place that was a bit of a disappointment.
The band was not good, and I won't go into naming any names.  After one set,
we wandered over to Fritzel's.  Jacques Gauthe's band was to play there.
The band had not started yet...we said hello to Jacques, and also to his
banjoist Buzzy Podewell (Banu's other half).  Also on hand was Duke Heitger.
Buzzy and Duke are both outstanding players.  We had a seat at the bar, and
while waiting for the band to start Tim Laughlin came in, followed a few
minutes later by Steve Yocum...two more extremely fine players.
    The band got on the stand and we noticed that piano and banjo
constituted the entire rhythm section...no drums and no bass.  It didn't
seem to matter, because Buzzy plays a very strong banjo with a beat that is
solid as a rock.  The pianist, a young fellow named Scott Obenschain, played
a a modified stride style that was as strong as Buzzy's banjo.  Once they
started playing, I didn't miss the drummer or the bass player at all.
    Right from the start, the band swung...not any break neck tempo, but
everything had a nice easy swing.  There was not a weak player in the band.
After a a couple of tunes, Steve Yocum got out his bone, followed by Tim
Laughlin with his clarinet and sat in.  Without question, an all-star band.
      On Monday afternoon, I'll attend a recording session at George Buck's
studio...Duke Heitger, Brian Ogilvie, Evan Christopher, and I don't remember
the names of the other players, but it sounds like it will be great.
      Pat Cooke
       New Orleans