[Dixielandjazz] San Kenton/bl vs. wh

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sun Jan 19 10:48:47 PST 2003

>Jazz Musicians? We are among the most tolerant
>people on earth as has been proven time and again since jazz began.
Steve

I understand that Ella Fitgerald, during an interview in Europe, was
asked about playing with white musicians.  She said she didn't care what
color a person was as long as he could blow!  But, the interviewer kept
trying to keep the subject going, anyway.

That question is a favourite of all journalists in Europe.  We get it
every time we're interviewed.  An improvisation on the same theme is the
statement that "black people swing"........  Some do, some don't, just
like white people.....is my answer to that one.

Big deal outa nothing.

Jim