[Dixielandjazz] Banjo recommendations Make and Model, etc.

Elazar Brandt jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sun Jan 19 01:30:42 PST 2003

Hi Skip,

I'm here, but:

1) I don't play 5-string, and
2) I'm no expert on makes and models, new or used.

As someone pointed out, make sure you really want a 5-string, because they're generally not used for playing jazz, but rather
bluegrass or country western.

Actually I am also looking for a good 5-string banjo, new or used, for about $600, for a customer here in Israel. I'm going to Los
Angeles in a couple weeks and will search my usual haunts there. Last time I looked, I was impressed with the Deering Good Time
banjo line for new banjos starting at a few hundred $$$ (without a case!).

Some things I would look for (maybe some list veterans could help us out here):

* 3/4 inch hard-wood rim (body). I don't like metal body banjos, and some used ones might have thinner, lighter wood bodies. For my
taste, they're too flimsy and don't sound as good, but they are lighter in weight.
* brass tone ring
* 2 coordinator rods (as opposed to just one, inside the body, to hold the neck in place)
* check the frets on used banjos to make sure they're not worn down, especially the most used ones near the peg-head end of the
neck.
* make sure the tuning pegs are easy to turn and do not slip.
* check metal parts for corrosion
* check that the head is not overstretched or otherwise worn out. 5-string players like frosted heads, so I'm told.
* IMPORTANT: Check that the neck is straight. Do this by looking down the neck as though you were aiming a rifle at something.
You'll be able to see if there is a significant bend in the neck. Another indication of trouble is if the strings are too high over
the fingerboard.
* Banjos come with or without resonators (backs) Some are designed to be open-back and others just have had the resonator taken off.
Open back banjos usually do not have a flange, which is the metal piece around the body that holds the resonator in place. A banjo
with a flange and no resonator looks a little funny and can be uncomfortable.

Brand names:

* I have 2 Gibsons, one a 1926 Mastertone. I like them. New ones are pricey though.
* Deering is a respectable name
* Anyone tried a Sullivan banjo (made by Bill Sullivan of First Quality Musical Supplies)? They're not cheap, but they run about
half the price of a comparable Gibson, and I'd bet they sound better.
* There's a fellow in Prague named Rosta Capek who makes really fine banjos, starting at around $1100. He's on the net
(capekinstruments.com, I think) and he has dealers in the US. I visited his shop and tried one of his low end models, and it felt
and sounded as good or better than anything I've ever played. He makes more expensive models, but the main differences are cosmetic.

Well, that's most of what I know about banjos.

By the way, experiment with picks of various hardnesses and materials. The difference in sound can be dramatic.

Gotta run for now. Good luck,

Elazar ("Banjo is my middle name") Brandt
Misrad HaJazz
Doctor Jazz Band
Jerusalem, Israel
<www.israel.net/ministry-of-jazz>