[Dixielandjazz] Banjo recommendations Make and Model, etc.

Dick Miller Dick_Miller at pmug.org
Sat Jan 18 09:58:55 PST 2003

Skip:

Deering makes a beginner-line 5-string that sells for about $300 new, and
the buzz I've heard is that it's a good buy for a beginner. I've been
trying to get them to make a similar-quality plectrum (long-necked
4-string which can be tuned like the top 4 strings of a guitar), but so
far they haven't come across.

If you want to go for quality, there's a good selection of vintage
instruments at Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island, NY. They sell to a lot
of the big names in folk and country, and sometimes have real
one-of-a-kinds, like Dave Guard's banjo (original Kingston Trio) and a Wes
Montgomery guitar. They're at www.mandoweb.com. If you've got really deep
pockets and want only the best vintage instruments, it's the place to go.
Fortunately, they have instruments folks like us can afford, too. Their
catalog is worth getting if only to read the descriptions written by Stan
Jay, the owner/founder/president/resident character.

--Dick Miller