[Dixielandjazz] Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 17 10:37:20 PST 2003

Hi all:

Saw some different post mentioning the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and I seek
advice. Barbone Street JB is playing for "New Orleans Night" at the
Berk's Jazz Festival in Reading PA on Wednesday Night, March 26. We are
on stage at the Lincoln Plaza Hotel Ballroom along with the Dirty Dozen.
We will play an hour and fifteen minute first set and they will play a
similar last set.
We expect a full house (500-600) at $28 a pop.

We are a (Chicago / Condon / New York - Style) 6 piece Dixieland Band. I
am not very familiar with their style. However since this is a "New
Orleans Night" at an otherwise 10 day 'modern and smooth jazz" festival,
I expect them to be close to a New Orleans Brass Band. Last year we
played there opposite the Preservation Hall Jazz Band to 500 people at
$32 a pop.

Anybody got an input or suggestions as to how they play, or what songs
we might play opposite them? Or as to whether they will play N.O.
Marching or Funeral songs etc. We have no input as yet from the Festival
on song choices and think we should probably stick with stuff from the
Condon book and keep far away from our New Orleans repertoire. Thus
presenting a varied musical program for the attendees.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

BTW. This is our 3rd year at this modern jazz festival. First year
(alone) was very successful prompting a second year starting a "New
Orleans Night" with Preservation Hall and this year a similar night with
Dirty Dozen. We also play several other local Modern Jazz or Music
Festivals (Rehoboth, West Chester University, Clifford Brown, Turk's
Head etc.)  with great success as the only OKOM band. Suggest other OKOM
bands pursue these venues. For the moment, you have no competition
there.