[Dixielandjazz] Strangest version of The Saints yet!

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Thu Jan 16 20:06:23 PST 2003

I do not know how true this story is - sounds a bit fishy to me, but
anyway...

Dave Richoux
     Load the link and press play.

     http://astro.temple.edu/~kmr/Chauffe2.mp3

     First you'll hear a 10-cylinder, 750 horsepower Asiatech F1
     engine being warmed up. Then it performs a rousing version
     of "When The Saints Come Marching In", to the delight of
     assembled pit staff and journalists.

     Here's how the magic was achieved (technical/musical details
     via F1 Racing magazine):

     As we all know, a V10 engine produces five combustions per
     revolution at a frequency per second of 60/(5 x revs per
     minute), which equals 12/rpm. Therefore, to work out the
     revs you need to hit a particular musical note, you multiply
     the note's frequency by 12. To play a 440Hz 'A', for example,
     you need 5,280rpm.  For 'C', use 3,139rpm, for 'F' 4,191rpm,
     and so on.

     Asiatech's French technicians (the engine, despite its name,
     is derived from a Peugeot design) simply programmed their
     engine to run through the various rev/note ranges in the
     correct sequence. The result is delightful. And think of the
     possibilities - BMW's F1 engine, which howls all the way to
     19,050rpm, could rip through the entire Hendrix songbook.

     Even better: imagine a massed NASCAR choir performing "The
     Star Spangled Banner"! Being eight-cylinder engines, the
     frequency per second would be 60/(4 x revs), which means
     you'd multiply the note frequencies by 15 instead of 12: 'A'
     would arrive at 6,600rpm, 'C' at 3,923rpm, 'F' at 5,238rpm,
     etc.

     Mark my words, someone will be getting rich at Daytona next
     year selling a CD of NASCAR patriotic anthems.