[Dixielandjazz] Leonard Feather-black musicians

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Thu Jan 16 16:37:21 PST 2003

----------
From: "Bill Gunter" <jazzboard at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Leonard Feather

[excerpt] "... Our attitude, of course, was that if there were any black
groups playing
OKOM we would have surely invited them, but . . . name some.

Feather said in his column that this excuse didn't fly citing two bands that
played jazz and who were black. One was the Dirty Dozen and I don't recall
the name of the other one at the moment..."

Aloha, Bill in Hawaii,
Sorry your plan with Feather didn't fly right.
Nowadays, when looking for black musicians who play OKOM, one can always
look to Tom Wiggins and his band: "St. Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band." They
play some funky N.O. Jazz and had a successful tour of the European
festivals last summer. (They've been invited back to all of them.)
Love and aloha hugs to you & Bev, the Maihaks, and the Thompsons,
Nancykins