[Dixielandjazz] Mazzeo Clarinets - Redux

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 13 20:24:16 PST 2003

List mates:

Funny how the world turns. Today I get a phone call from the head of an
advertising agency in Minnesota. She had booked us a few months ago for
a gig at the "Horse and Pet Expo" at the Fort Washington Convention
center near Philadelphia. We're doing a big "jazz" party there on
January 25, for exhibitors and customers.

She was talking about the requirements and did we need anything etc.,
and I assured her that we would be fine. Then she asked: What kind of
clarinet do you play?" I replied (like Artie Shaw) "I don't play
clarinet, I play music" with a smile in my voice. She said "Oh, you mean
like Artie Shaw said to Benny Goodman 60 years ago?"

We laughed and I said, I play a Selmer 10G (G for Gilotti, the first
chair clarinet for the Philadelphia Symphony) or an antique Buffet, both
Boehm systems. She replied "I used to play a couple of Mazzeo system
clarinets." Short pause, and then she added, "My father retired as
principal clarinet for the Minneapolis Symphony about 12 years ago and
he has at least three of them"

Etc.., etc., etc. Bottom line, the family has at least 5 Mazzeo system
clarinets and might be willing to sell one or all of them. I know at
least one is a Buffet and one is pitched in A. I suspect they are
expensive. As to the rest, your guess is as good as mine.

If any of you reed men want to contact her after January 25, drop me a
note and I'll forward her address and phone after that date. In the
meantime, search google for Mazzeo Clarinet and you'll come up with all
the info you need about them.

Strange coincidence.

Cheers,
Steve

PS. She booked us from word of mouth from the Cincinnati agency that
booked us for DuPont Corporation's 200th anniversary
in June of 2002. Funny again how the gig world turns. Hired to play
locally in Philadelphia, by an advertising agency 1500 miles away in
Minnesota that got our name through a corporate event planner, halfway
in between, in Cincinnati.