[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bob Zurke

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:16:54 +1100

Dear Rob,
As would be expected, your Bob Zurke query has generated some helpful responses
from DJMLers.
The CD that John Farrell and David Littlefield referred to is Hep CD 1076 - Bob
Zurke 'Honky Tonk Train Blues'.
It contains all (except "I Bought A Wooden Whistle") of the recordings Bob
Zurke's big band made for Victor between 15 July 1939 and 8 May 1940.
The booklet notes to the CD by English pianist Pat Hawes, are comprehensive, and
should give you all the biog information you need.
The English trumpet player/award winning jazz-writer, John Chilton, covers
extremely well Bob Zurke' s tenure (Jan 1937 to April 1939, except time off with
a broken leg) with the Bob Crosby Orchestra in his 1983 book 'Stomp Off, Let's
Go'.
It has lots of Zurke anecdotes, along the lines of the several mentioned by Don
Ingle.
For the benefit of Larry Swain (who probably knows anyway), the pianist/composer
of "Little Rock Getaway" was Joe Sullivan who had (in 1936) preceded Zurke in
the Crosby band. The Crosby band version of this tune (a piano feature recorded
on 5 Nov 1937 when Zurke's leg was still in plaster) was a Bob Zurke tribute to
Sullivan.
They also did Sullivan's "Gin Mill Blues" on 8 Feb 1937, Zurke's recording debut
with the band.
Zurke played Sullivan's "In A Minor Mood", "Just Strolling" and "Gin Mill Blues"
on the big benefit Swing Concert given for Joe Sullivan at the Congress Hotel,
Chicago on 18 April 1937. Joe Sullivan was in hospital with TB.
The Bob Crosby part of this concert is on Circle CCD-174 and Soundcraft SC-5009.
The Bob Crosby band (with Zurke) recorded "Just Strolling" on 16 Nov 1937.
I would guess that Bob Zurke has a lot of admiration for Mr Sullivan.
The Bob Crosby recordings with Bob Zurke are available in a chronological DHDL
series put out by Halcyon (English).
Bob Zurke's early recordings are/were available as follows:
Oliver Naylor (1 May 1925) Retrieval CD RTR 79008
Pinkie's Birmingham Five (2 Dec 1925) Retrieval CD RTR 79008
Thelma Terry and Her Playboys (27 Sept 1927) IAJRC CD 1007
Once again, probably much more than you needed to know.
8>)
Like John Farrell, I am a great fan of Bob Zurke.
And the Bob Crosby band.
Kind regards,
Bill.