[Dixielandjazz] Amputees

fred spencer drjz@bealenet.com
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:05:28 -0500

Dear Jerry,
I almost decided that your derogatory remarks did not deserve a reply,
but decided to correct some mistaken ideas about me and my book. I hope
that this will conclude an unpleasant hiatus in the jazz content of the
DJML, although I have included some jazz facts each time in my replies.
My book is not all about death as you may have gathered from the title,
"Jazz and Death. MEDICAL PROFILES OF JAZZ GREATS ". Read it and find
out. The best way I can explain its content is to quote from my
"Preface":
"My aim in writing this book is fivefold: first to promote accuracy in
jazz historiography by correcting some of the errors and myths
perpetuated by past writers; second, to demonstrate the variation in
accounts of the same event by different reporters; third, TO EXPLORE THE
MEDICAL HISTORIES OF SELECTED MAJOR JAZZ MUSICIANS AND, WHERE
APPLICABLE, TO SHOW HOW ILLNESS AFFECTED THEIR LIVES ; fourth, to
discuss the prevalence of substance abuse in the world of jazz, and
fifth, to encourage the further study of these neglected facets of jazz
history".
I believe these "non-lethal" notes from my book to be of some interest
to jazz fans, in addtion to those I previously mentioned about Sweet
Emma Barrett and Benny Goodman: that Bix Beiderbecke had a "pivot tooth"
that used to fall out of his mouth; that Lester Young almost certainly
did not have syphilis; that Joe Sullivan played on for many years
despite ignoring treatment for tuberculosis; that Muggsy Spanier, after
"Relaxin'  at The Touro" with a perforated peptic ulcer, later played
his trumpet during a cardiac catheterization; and that Little Jimmy
Scott continues a successful singing career, partly because he has a
familial hormone imbalance.
As for homophobia, I could say "it takes one to know one", but I shall
refrain for both our sakes. I apologise if I misinterpreted what you
meant by "Perverse Sexual Habits". To my liberal mind, it conveyed an
all too common anti-gay bias. I wonder what "Perverse Sexual Habits"
means to you, but I don't really care. And I thought I made it clear
that the author of "Queer Noises" supports gay liberation, when I quoted
a review that said "Music's closet door (at long last) is starting to
swing open".
I have no difficulty in changing the title of my proposed article if you
wish, especially as you seem to have changed your attitude to it "to
some extent". Peace.
Fred