[Dixielandjazz] Re: Miles - OKOM?

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:59:35 +1100

Dear Jim,
In December 1974, Clark Terry was the invited guest at the annual Australian
Jazz Convention.
A controversial decision, considering it is a 'traditional jazz' event.
At his request, he sat in for half an hour with my classic style jazz band.
Mr Terry (an extremely friendly and  gentle man) was not (and still isn't) my
favourite jazz musician.
For reasons of style - and the musical company he keeps.
Nothing wrong with it, but it isn't for me.
However, he took to OKOM like a duck to water and played beautifully.
And later admitted that he loved every minute of it.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: the week-long Australian Jazz Convention was started in 1946 and has been
held annually, ever since.