[Dixielandjazz] Jazz amputees

fred spencer drjz@bealenet.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:12:49 -0500

Dear Jerry,
Your response to my request for information about amputees was something I
thought might happen. First, my original email pointed out that I was writing a
"short piece", not a book. Second, I  have received many favorable replies before
yours, several from amputees themselves. Third, as a doctor, I know how the
experiences of patients with disabilities, physical and mental, is beneficial to
the vast majority of persons similarly affected. Fourth, I have written a book
entitled "Jazz and Death, Medical Profiles of Jazz Greats", in which one chapter
is "Physical Handicaps Due To Disease". One example is Sweet Emma Barrett, who
continued to play piano with her right hand after her left side was paralyzed by
a stroke. Another is Benny Goodman, who performed with a colostomy, a surgically
repaired aortic aneurysm, and a heart pacemaker, often accompanied by back pain
from a prolapsed intervertebral disc. Was this sick too, to write about their
guts in continuing to delight their audiences?
As it happens, your suggestion about revealing  "Perverse Sexual Habits of
Well-known Classical Composers" is already being met in part--Tchaikovsky's
homosexuality is now well known. You may be interested in a book by John
Gill--"Queer Noises. Male and Female Homosexuality in Twentieth Century Music".
One chapter is "Miles In The Sky", and I quote a comment about Bix in my book.
One reviewer wrote that "Music's closet door (at long last) is starting to swing
open".
I don't intend to write anything about a living amputee without first obtaining
his or her permission. To the best of my knowledge the musicians I have already
named have died, with biographical details in print. Having said this, I think
the best answer to your comments is the one already on the DJML by Judie, which
says it all. Regards.
Fred