[Dixielandjazz] Re: AM Radio

Dave Bilgray dbilgray@well.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:35:28 -0700

Folks,

 >>MY question to you and radio afficiandos is...were AM radios better
in those old tube days. I certainly remember pulling in stations from all
over with fine clarity.<<

Blame it on the FCC.  Back when you (and I) were listening to distant
stations, many frequencies were designated as clear channels, with only one
station on that frequency at night.  Those stations all had high power (50
kw), so they could be received clearly for long distances.  KOA Denver,
KMOX St. Louis, WWL New Orleans, and four in Chicago.  That's pretty much
gone.  Those frequencies now have multiple stations, scattered around the
country, which often get in the way of those distant ones you want to hear.

Dave Bilgray