[Dixielandjazz] AM radio

Don Kirkman donkirk@covad.net
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 17:18:04 -0800

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:40:20 -0800, Randy Fendrick wrote:

>Don't take this wrong but wasn't that  the station from Del Rio Texas,
>which was actually in Mexico, and during the late 1950s trying to sell
>autographed copies of pictures of our Saviour, Jesus Christ?  That is
>how it was advertised.  I remember hearing that story when I was in the
>Navy School of Music in Washington during the late 1950's.  Pat Orres
>who some of you might know from your navy days used to tell a rather
>funny story about that station.

>On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 02:03 PM, Don Kirkman wrote:

>> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 12:59:04 EST, JimDBB@aol.com wrote:

>> [...]

>> I'm witchu, Don.  I think XELO and some of the other Mexican stations
>> existed solely to sell stuff to USians on those powerful clear channel
>> stations.  :-)

Maybe this is part of the confusion; I was responding in part to Don
Ingle's earlier post but doing it by way of Jim Beebe's response to him.

I believe XELO (later XTRA, I think) was in Baja California and was
mostly music.  All the big signals pushing schlock were along the Texas
border, as best I can remember at my age.
--
Don
donkirk@covad.net