[Dixielandjazz] AM radio

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 12:59:04 EST

--part1_12d.1f9ba543.2b4f1268_boundary

In a message dated 1/9/03 11:09:49 AM Central Standard Time,
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> Indeed, many of us caught the late nights live broadcasts from NY with some
> good jazz bands to hear.
> I also note that your thinking that Napoleon was using some mute as you
> heard Spargo's kazoo is not a bad take, since Humes and Berg was making
> (may
> still make) a trumpet mute that took the sound and vibrated it so it
> sounded
> like a kazoo. Talk about retrograde evolution!
> I still have an old Philco radio, tube type, that I had in college in E.
> Lansing, MI that could pull in about every major station in NY, N.O.,
> Denver, Houston, and the famous Del Rio station in Mexico where they
> offered
> for sale a "life sized, glow-in-the-dark, statue of Jesus Christ." That
> boomer came in loud and clear coast to coast. A station in Toronto had a
> staff orchestra and some good arrangers and did some marvelous live
> broadcasts with charts much like the old Alec Wilder broadcasts. Marvelous
> players.
> We were fortunate enough to live in those times. But then I am not un happy
> to be still kicking today, even if no longer as likely to receive anything
> of much musical (jazz) merit on AM.
> Don Ingle

   My parents purchased a huge Philco console that sounded great.
   As you point out, Don one could pull in stations from all over the
country.  MY question to you and radio afficiandos is...were AM radios better
in those old tube days.  I certainly remember pulling in stations from all
over with fine clarity.

  I had an uncle, Rex Maupin, who was head of music on ABC radio in Chicago.
He had 50 musicians on staff playing for different shows.  Those were the
days.

  JIm Beebe

--part1_12d.1f9ba543.2b4f1268_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3>In a message dated 1/9/03 11:09:49 AM Central Standard Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Indeed, many of us caught the late nights live broadcasts from NY with some<BR>
good jazz bands to hear.<BR>
I also note that your thinking that Napoleon was using some mute as you<BR>
heard Spargo's kazoo is not a bad take, since Humes and Berg was making (may<BR>
still make) a trumpet mute that took the sound and vibrated it so it sounded<BR>
like a kazoo. Talk about retrograde evolution!<BR>
I still have an old Philco radio, tube type, that I had in college in E.<BR>
Lansing, MI that could pull in about every major station in NY, N.O.,<BR>
Denver, Houston, and the famous Del Rio station in Mexico where they offered<BR>
for sale a "life sized, glow-in-the-dark, statue of Jesus Christ." That<BR>
boomer came in loud and clear coast to coast. A station in Toronto had a<BR>
staff orchestra and some good arrangers and did some marvelous live<BR>
broadcasts with charts much like the old Alec Wilder broadcasts. Marvelous<BR>
players.<BR>
We were fortunate enough to live in those times. But then I am not un happy<BR>
to be still kicking today, even if no longer as likely to receive anything<BR>
of much musical (jazz) merit on AM.<BR>
Don Ingle</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; My parents purchased a huge Philco console that sounded great.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; As you point out, Don one could pull in stations from all over the country.&nbsp; MY question to you and radio afficiandos is...were AM radios better in those old tube days.&nbsp; I certainly remember pulling in stations from all over with fine clarity.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; I had an uncle, Rex Maupin, who was head of music on ABC radio in Chicago.&nbsp; He had 50 musicians on staff playing for different shows.&nbsp; Those were the days.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; JIm Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_12d.1f9ba543.2b4f1268_boundary--