[Dixielandjazz] Kazoos

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 05:11:08 +0000

Hi listmates,

George Thurmond asks (regarding kazoos):

>     Before we put to bed all this talk about guys making music come out of
>their kazoos, permit me to ask - What's the difference, if any, between
>Tony
>Sprago's dexterity on the kazoo (which someone finally mentioned) and Red
>McKenzie, with the Mound City Blue Blowers, on the comb and tissue paper?
>Aren't these really "instruments" of the same genre?

Yes they are. They are all a class of instruments known as
"membrane-o-phones" and their history goes way back to biblical times. Some
Old Testament scholars have actually determined that when Joshua "fit the
battle of Jericho" he used kazoos rather than trumpets or ram horns to knock
down the walls to the city.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Hot Kazoo Man" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com