[Dixielandjazz] Re: If you knew Sousa

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:15:54 +0100

=A0>=A0 Incidentally, John Phillip Sousa , played far more than his =
marches
and occasional ragtime >pieces in his concerts.=A0=20

I began my trombone playing studying with a former trumpeter of Sousa's
band....Jimmy Son, in Long Beach, California.  Jimmy Son started the
Long Beach Jr. Concert Band, a youth band, about that same time, so I
became a charter member of that marching/concert band when I was about
9.  Stayed with it 'til I was 18, playing up to 350 performances in a
single year.  Never did too well in school, but got along great in the
band.  Also enjoyed the numerous pom-pom girls, baton twirlers, etc.!
(In school, one had to decide between marching band & the orchestra.  It
was an easy choice.  No pom-pom girls in the orquestra!)

Later, there was a riff between Jimmy & the now present band leader
(yes, the LBJCB is still going strong!), Marvin Marker, and Mr. Son was
out.

We played, then, in the style of the Sousa band.  Lots of marches, of
course (I can still play all of Stars & Stripes, El Capitan, etc. from
memory), but lots of pseudo-classical stuff, show tunes, etc.  A great,
musical experience for any kid, although I never liked the classical
stuff transcribed for band.  Playing trombone like a cello was never my
thing.  Hated counting all those measures of rests, also. =20

My sister found religion, I found music.  We're both pretty darn good
adults due to our addictions.

Jim