[Dixielandjazz] Jazz amputees

fred spencer drjz@bealenet.com
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 21:45:49 -0500

Dear Rob,
Thanks, and I am stupid. I had forgotten about Woody Shaw, although I
have two
pages about him in my book "Jazz and Death. Medical Profiles of Jazz
Greats". I
think it was a combination of my age, and that I was thinking of
amputees who continued to play that made me forget. You are absolutely
correct about him,and
this is a summary of what I wrote, with some quotes -
"In 1989 Shaw returned to the United States from an extended stay in
Europe,
emaciated and missing his front teeth; he had to be met at the airport
with a
wheelchair." He was depressed and went to stay with his parents in
Newark, NJ,
but Max Roach sent a limousine for him to come to the Village Vanguard
where
Roach was playing. At about midnight, Lorraine Gordon, the owner's wife,
says
that "He [Shaw] was put in the cab with enough money to get him back
home". The
next thing known is that Shaw fell under a subway train at about 7 a.m.
in
Brooklyn's De Kalb Avenue station. He had an above elbow amputation of
his left
arm in Bellevue Hospital, and had "also sustained head and other
injuries".
Shaw was legally blind. He had "retinitis pigmentosa", a hereditary
disorder
that results in tunnel vision. "Six weeks later one kidney has stopped
working,
so he requires dialysis, and he also needs a respirator. He's also been
unconscious for more than a month...If the loss of an arm was Shaw's
only
catastrophic ailment, perhaps there would be room for optimism. But
Woody Shaw
has had a longtime drug dependency". Shaw is reported to have died from
heart failure. Presumably, his homeostasis (bodily balance) gave out and
his
heart failed, after years of substance abuse,and two months of post
traumatic
illness". The web site you name says he died of kidney failure. My
information came from the alphabetical file at the Institute of Jazz
Studies at Rutgers. Both accounts could be true, kidney and heart
failure.
I didn't find anything more about Jaki Byard than was in the press at
the time.
Regards to all.
Fred