[Dixielandjazz] RE: Stanford Marching Band

Williams, Bob robert.c.williams@eds.com
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 12:08:24 -0600

The Stanford Marching Band is famous for "The Play," a(n) hilarious incident
that occurred at the end of the "Big Game" with Cal (Berkeley) in November
of 1982 - in fact, a Google Search on "Standford Marching Band play" will
result in some recent write-ups commemorating this event.  Tragically, a
trombonist was creamed, but he's managed to milk a bit of a career out of it
(http://www.offthekuff.com/mt/archives/001076.html).

I've found a site with a non-streaming Real Audio clip of the famous play,
at http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cje/.

As a high school drum major for three years, I abhorred marching band,
although I did march with the UCLA Bruins for one year.  I agree with Jim
Beebe, it is an abomination.  I envied the Stanford Band because they
satirized the institution beautifully.

Bob Williams
The World's Most Modest Man and
That's About It At The Moment