[Dixielandjazz] The Best Damn Band --Wow A Big Order

BudTuba@aol.com BudTuba@aol.com
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:27:06 EST

--part1_1a1.e796754.2b49d2fa_boundary

In a message dated 1/5/03 12:40:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> Hey Jim -- the best damn band in the land is the President's Own, the US
> Marine Corp Band in Washington -- its leader for many years was J.P. Sousa.
> This is the top service band in the country, and filled with outstanding
> professional musicians who enlist after rigorous competition for slots in
> the band.

I was strolling through Kilbourn Hall at the Eastman School of Music a couple
of weeks ago and saw a tiny practise room filled with about 8 tuba players
warming up for the Marine Corp auditions.  Amazing thing was that even though
they were about to compete against each other, they were advising each other
on what the interpretation of the required pieces should be.  I heard no
slouches there.

It's not really fair to compare a military band with a college marching
band...but this points out the fallacy of calling any group the "best damn
band in the land".  For example, is Jim Cullum's band chopped liver?

I enjoy college bands, but they have so little time to rehearse.  I also
marvel at the precision of the British Massed Bands in a Tattoo performance,
but wonder if one of our drum and bugle corps showed up whether if a few
heads wouldn't turn in amazement.  They are now starting their "camps" to
recruit new players for the summer season.  It's competitive to the highest
order.

BTW British friends on the list...have any present day US drum and bugle
corps performed in GB?  These are very determined amateur musicians many of
whom never went to college.

Try this link out as an example (and this is just the tip of the iceberg).

<A HREF="http://www.statesmen.org/statesmen.html">Empire Statemen</A>

Bud Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Rochester, NY
Traditional Jazz since 1958

--part1_1a1.e796754.2b49d2fa_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 1/5/03 12:40:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Hey Jim -- the best damn band in the land is the President's Own, the US<BR>
Marine Corp Band in Washington -- its leader for many years was J.P. Sousa.<BR>
This is the top service band in the country, and filled with outstanding<BR>
professional musicians who enlist after rigorous competition for slots in<BR>
the band.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
I was strolling through Kilbourn Hall at the Eastman School of Music a couple of weeks ago and saw a tiny practise room filled with about 8 tuba players warming up for the Marine Corp auditions.&nbsp; Amazing thing was that even though they were about to compete against each other, they were advising each other on what the interpretation of the required pieces should be.&nbsp; I heard no slouches there.<BR>
<BR>
It's not really fair to compare a military band with a college marching band...but this points out the fallacy of calling any group the "best damn band in the land".&nbsp; For example, is Jim Cullum's band chopped liver?&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
I enjoy college bands, but they have so <B>little</B> time to rehearse.&nbsp; I also marvel at the precision of the British Massed Bands in a Tattoo performance, but wonder if one of our drum and bugle corps showed up whether if a few heads wouldn't turn in amazement.&nbsp; They are now starting their "camps" to recruit new players for the summer season.&nbsp; It's competitive to the highest order.<BR>
<BR>
BTW British friends on the list...have any present day US drum and bugle corps performed in GB?&nbsp; These are very determined amateur musicians many of whom never went to college.<BR>
<BR>
Try this link out as an example (and this is just the tip of the iceberg).<BR>
<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.statesmen.org/statesmen.html">Empire Statemen</A> <BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=CENTER></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SCRIPT" FACE="Comic Sans MS" LANG="0">Bud Taylor<BR>
<B>Smugtown Stompers</B><BR>
Rochester, NY<BR>
Traditional Jazz since 1958</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</P></FONT></HTML>
--part1_1a1.e796754.2b49d2fa_boundary--