[Dixielandjazz] Separation from audience.

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 21:40:12 -0500

David in Delta wrote (polite snip)

"I'm not sure why Steve needed a sound crew for music that was intended
be played on acoustic instruments in what appears to be an "outdoor
concert" setting.  There is an element of artificiality through
amplification, particularly if the soundman tinkers with mixing.
Steve's
venue in particular seems to be a natural amphitheatre, sound carries
very
nicely over the water, and music has been played outdoors on acoustic
instruments since the dawn of time."

Should have made it clear that it wasn't an amphitheatre. Just a hill in
front of us. The edges of the listening area sloped downward from that
hill and from us. There were no natural accoustics that would have
served to carry the sound to the audience of 3500 people, some of whom
were in their cars on the roadway 300 yards away.  (Where a fair amount
of moving traffic was present)

Every band that plays there, including some 16 piece groups, uses
amplification.  Instruments like clarinet and string bass would have
been totally inaudible, as would the vocals and announcements.
Additionally, we were not at water level, but about 20 feet above the
water.

The soundmen were pros, suppied by the venue, and very good at their
mixing. Very "jazz" knowledgeable at what the minimum levels for good
listening was, and how to mix it properly.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone