[Dixielandjazz] Mainstream - Bop - OKOM

David W. Littlefield dwlit@cpcug.org
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 20:07:39 -0500

At 03:18 PM 1/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Dan & List Mates:
>You are probably not hearing bop, but a poor attempt at mainstream.
>Virtually no one plays bop anymore, which did / does require a superb
>technical level of musicianship in order to be correctly played. This
>also points to why we need the differentiation between "bop" and
>"mainstream" as musical forms.
>Steve Barbone

Most genres, like Dixieland and Bebop, have their own repertoires. I've had
the impression that "Mainstream" has some special standards. What are some
tunes that might help us separate Mainstream from Bebop? I'd find it
helpful in helping prospects sort out the options. I have no trouble with
pop tunes from the 60s-70s when I'm trying to determine whether my dance
band is what they really want, but am pretty much at a loss when it comes
to post-swing jazz...

--Sheik
--Sheik
David W. Littlefield, Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Washboard
Compiler: "Dixieland FB" (Bb, C); "30S-40S FB (Bb, C)"; "Gig Book"
http://cpcug.org/user/dwlit (Dixie playalong list, other tools)
http://americanmusiccaravan.com (Fake Books, Chord Books, Bands)
eMail: dwlit@cpcug.org