[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #404 - 24 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 14:29:03 EST

--part1_130.1964514e.2b488fff_boundary

In a message dated 1/4/2003 2:04:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Hi all,
>
> a listener called me during my show to ask if I knew the Beethoven
> composition that had a particularly distinctive "swing" rhythm or
> syncopation to it. He said he had heard it a few years ago on another
> station but did not catch the name.
>
> I forgot to ask him if this was a piano solo, concerto, or full
> orchestral piece but my knowledge of Beethoven is somewhat limited - I
> hope at least one of you DJML folks might know what he was on about.  I
> seem to recall that this topic was on the list a few years ago but I
> did not find anything when I searched my old folders.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> Dave Richoux The Jazz Parade KFJC.org

Dan Spink Replies:

Yes, I believe you are thinking of the third movement of either the first or
second piano concerto (can't recall which at the moment). It is often used in
musical schools to demonstrate how the ol boy used syncopated rhythm in his
own time; even sounds a bit like a South American rhythm to me.

Dan Spink

--part1_130.1964514e.2b488fff_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#3dffff"><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="FIXED" FACE="Courier New" LANG="0"><B>In a message dated 1/4/2003 2:04:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3dffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="arial" LANG="0"></B>Hi all,<BR>
<BR>
a listener called me during my show to ask if I knew the Beethoven <BR>
composition that had a particularly distinctive "swing" rhythm or <BR>
syncopation to it. He said he had heard it a few years ago on another <BR>
station but did not catch the name.<BR>
<BR>
I forgot to ask him if this was a piano solo, concerto, or full <BR>
orchestral piece but my knowledge of Beethoven is somewhat limited - I <BR>
hope at least one of you DJML folks might know what he was on about.&nbsp; I <BR>
seem to recall that this topic was on the list a few years ago but I <BR>
did not find anything when I searched my old folders.<BR>
<BR>
Any Ideas?<BR>
<BR>
TIA<BR>
<BR>
Dave Richoux The Jazz Parade KFJC.org<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3dffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="FIXED" FACE="Courier New" LANG="0"><B><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #3dffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B>Dan Spink Replies:<BR>
<BR>
Yes, I believe you are thinking of the third movement of either the first or second piano concerto (can't recall which at the moment). It is often used in musical schools to demonstrate how the ol boy used syncopated rhythm in his own time; even sounds a bit like a South American rhythm to me. <BR>
<BR>
Dan Spink</FONT></HTML>

--part1_130.1964514e.2b488fff_boundary--