[Dixielandjazz] Dancing

Bill Horton horton4jaz@earthlink.net
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 12:06:13 -0800

Someone made a disparaging remark about the dancing facilities at Pismo, so
I must rise to our defense.  I don't know whether they were referring to our
regular monthly sessions or to our annual Jubilee By The Sea or Mardi Gras.

At our monthly venue, the Vets Hall, the audience of about 300-350 is seated
about 8' in front of the elevated stage.  There is a large dance floor in a
section at stage right, and the bar is situated in a similar section at
stage left.  Acoustics were awful in our early days there, but our club, the
Basin Street Regulars, has spent thousands attempting to correct the
situation, with baffles, speakers, control consoles, sound-deadening panels,
etc.  It's fairly good now, but will never be of concert hall quality.  The
main problem comes from the conversations in the bar area, but schmoozing
with old friends is one of the great attractions of the club, after all.
At our annual festivals (TWO for a tiny little town, and always sold out!)
dancing facilities vary according to the several venues.  Several have
rented portable floors.  None are between the band and the seated audience,
but all are in view of both the bands and the audiences.
It seems to be an ideal setup for 99.5% of the patrons, but probably isn't
for the .5% who want to show off their stuff.  For them, a suggestion:  How
about ponying up $5-6,000 for a site arranged so they can display their
dancing talent?  I'm sure the Jubilee Committee would be happy to
accommodate them.

Bill "No Longer At Pismo" Horton